As Rainy January slipped in to rainy February I found a few days to sit and sew. I was able to finish 2 projects for myself, both of them are great every day shirts. It seems like a small feat but its has been tricky lately to carve out the time to sew. When I make the time for my crafty side it pays off on many levels, I’m more relaxed and can take things in stride a bit better and I have new stuff !
This was a new attempt for me, a reglan T that is my size. I have done the reglan thing with a super style hoodie for my boy, (check it out here) but never for me. I don’t even have one to copy 😛 what is a girl to do ? Well search blogs of course. I found a free one size reglan style T-shirt over at Dixie DIY (check it out here.) I have sewn one of her patterns before (click again … lots of clicking today) the perfect concert T and liked her easy to follow straight forward design.
The free pattern was not going to fit me, and was not really the fit I had in mind, so I frankenstiened up a pattern mix of Dixie DIY’s free pattern and a self drafted pattern I made up last year and loved (once more… you can see it here.) Starting with her original free reglan shirt, I placed my self draft pattern over top matching the armpits, I adjusted the length and shape of the pattern. Then I made adjustments for my smaller bust line and narrow build. I cut the pattern in half down the middle of the shoulder seam and overlapped it to take out about an inch. This step translates into about 2 inches since it comes off each side. Now that I’m trying to post and explain this I wish I had thought to take some quick snapshots. I was really worried that this step would muck up the way that the sleeves fit, but in the end it was ok.
You can see here that there is a bit of an odd thing going on at this in between stage with out the neckline.The sleeves are higher and odd, I just trimmed it off rounding it all out. In hindsight I should’ve taken a wee bit out of the middle on the ‘fold’ say about a half-inch to help the neckline, it’s a bit too wide n’ scoopy. The oversight was easily camouflaged with a wide neckband.
And there is a weird fit thing going on in the armpits…its like the arm hole is a bit too long? So most of the photos the shirt wrinkles up in the chest all weird (the best shot was the bad effect selfie, my photgrapher today is only 3’8″) Again I put it up to the adjusting, next time I will possibly make the armpit shorter. With a few more tweaks I’ll have a good reglan pattern 🙂 it is a great style to quickly whip up.
The other mistake is that I underestimated the length of my arms, the arms were too short. There was a moment of panic when I thought it would have to be a 3/4 length sleeve, not my favorite, instead I added longer cuffs. Looks alright almost like it was planned that way. In the name of quick sewing I didn’t finish the bottom hem, here is a good shot of the long cuffs and raw serged hem.
I think it is important to include all these imperfections, we put way to much pressure on ourselves. This shirt is not perfect, I already love how comfy it is. It has animal print and it fits long enough on my lanky frame, I know i will wear it imperfections and all. Its mostly why I don’t often finish the hem on jersey knit shirts…I can’t wait 10 more minutes to have them done!