I’ve been sewing along with Rae from made-by-rae, her spring top sew along came at a prefect time for me, I needed a little push it finish a few projects for myself. With summer around the corner I wanted to make some dresses and tops that have been rolling around in my mind a reality. My favorite sun dress does not fit as wonderfully as it used to. Crazy what 2 more kids can do to a bust line.
I used a shirt making tutorial by one little minute, to copy the pattern of the original favorite dress. This tutorial is great and is now how I copy store bought cloths, no more cutting them apart or measuring all the angles, awesome! I adjusted the fit by adding 1.5 inches to the bodice all the was around the top seam, creating a more modest sweetheart neckline. Once it was all pieced together, oh and part finished I tried it on to find it weird. check it out lol
The lessons here, try on before adding the bias tape 🙂 it makes readjustments much easier. And you do not need to add to the underarm area if ya just wanna cover your bosom. Also the jersey knit was way stretchier than the original fabric so I took in the side seam a bit.
This was also my first attempt at shirring. I was really intimidated but, all the amazing bloggers out there said it was easy. I did some tutorial research grabbed some elastic thread and dove in. Let me tell you, it is not only simple but so neat to see the fabric all bunch up and transform before you eyes! You can find some good tutorials here here
little toes made it into the shot lol
A bit about the fabric, the main one is a jersey knit sheet I bought on clearance, with the intention to use it just for the fabric. The sock monkeys are Socky by Wistler Studio. I SO love the sock monkey print! The teen, is opposed to the fabric, she came to the store with me that day and really tried to talk me out of buying those wonderful happy monkeys. I did also purchase a lovely blue mint polka-a-dot fabric that I will use for a more “grown up” looking top.
I wanted the straps to be adjustable but, I don’t have any of the real hard ware to do that. So I made them pillow case style with a little loop n’ tie. I am just obsessed with bias tape so trimmed the neck line too. i thought really hard about weather on not to tape the hem and chose to save the monkeys so i could use them again 🙂
Instead the hem is simply serged. Its a first attempt of doing that ruffle effect where you stretch the fabric on purpose.( Great tutorial on that and all kinds of serging hems here again from one little minutes series. ) I’m pleased with the way it turned out and love how fast it is. I hate large hemming projects, and I think its a great way of hiding the slight unevenness usually create while hemming.
So there it is my monkey dress remake, complete with pleated pockets and adjustable straps. Made from super comfy jersey knit. Now all I need is for the west coast rain to stop for a few days so I can wear it. — a little note here about the last group of pictures they were snapped by My Lil’ K what a great helper 😀
Now go check out all the other Amazing creations coming out of Spring Top Sew Along